May 14, 2020

Carbon monoxide is a gas with no odor and no color. It is found in combustion fumes from furnaces, gas-powered appliances, grills and vehicles. The carbon monoxide in those fumes can build up in your West Fargo, ND, home if there is poor ventilation or if your windows and doors are closed. Here is what you need to know about carbon monoxide in your home.

Causes of Carbon Monoxide in Homes

If fuel doesn’t fully burn, carbon monoxide gas can build up. This can happen with a faulty furnace or malfunctioning gas clothes dryer, water heater, oven or stove. A blocked vent or flue or poor ventilation may also cause carbon monoxide buildup in your home.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

When you breathe, carbon monoxide can replace oxygen in your red blood cells. Your cells become starved of oxygen. At a level of 70 parts per million, you may develop symptoms such as:

  • Headache or dizziness
  • Weakness or fatigue
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Chest pain
  • Confusion or short-term memory loss

As carbon monoxide levels increase, symptoms include disorientation and loss of consciousness. Carbon monoxide is deadly at 150 parts per million or higher. Babies, pregnant women and senior citizens are more susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning. Pets can also be poisoned by carbon monoxide.

Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

You can take action to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home. Install carbon monoxide detectors. They emit a loud alarm if the carbon monoxide level in your home is unsafe. Schedule an autumn tune-up of your furnace. Have your gas-powered appliances serviced and your chimney and flue cleaned once per year. Avoid running engines or using grills in enclosed spaces or near your home’s intake vents or windows. Keep generators at least 20 feet away from your home.

At Cass County Heating, Inc, we perform emergency service for faulty heating systems. We are also qualified to provide you with indoor air quality services and heating and air conditioning maintenance, repairs and installations. Call Cass County Heating, Inc today for more information about carbon monoxide issues in your West Fargo home.

company icon
Categories: